Monday, August 25, 2008

Welcome Back, Welcome Back, Welcome Back!

It was great to be in my placement school today, although not very glamorous. My mentor told me the most important thing she could teach me was that nothing will go as planed. And seeing that I did not envision cleaning out a mildewed refrigerator that accidentally got unplugged over the summer on my first day, I’d have to say she is right (I wish I had remembered my camera so I could insert a picture of my first official teaching act). All smells aside, I had a great time getting to know the staff at my school. Everyone was very friendly and I found a few places to get a quick cheap lunch for when I forget to pack or just need to be out of the building for a few minutes.

Because this is an ed tech blog….The school I am in has been transformed from an elementary to a high school and updated over time so there are old and new wires everywhere. For the most part the computers I saw were apples. They have three computer labs you can reserve and carts of laptops you can check out for your class to use. They also have wireless in the school. I was pretty amazed by the resources. When I was in high school, we were required to take a typing class using electronic typewriters before we were allowed to use the school’s computers. Wow, that just dated me.

Hope everyone else is having fun exploring your schools!

4 comments:

kellychk said...

Hey Brenda,

I'm glad to hear that your first experience at your school, while a bit smelly, went well overall! I've been hearing from most of our class that they really enjoy their mentor/placement, which is a great thing! I too had a nice first week getting to know my mentor and the rest of the staff at Wayne Memorial High, which is a huuuuge school by the way! I'm really excited to meet the kids and start putting what we've learned to use. I think it's going to be a really interesting semester and I look forward to hearing all the crazy stories that will likely arise!

Stephanie said...

Hey Brenda,
We were talking in class today about cells and mitosis and all of that fun stuff and then my girlfriend happened to send me this cite: http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/09/biologists-on-t.html
What do you think?

Sean Galvin said...

Man, that's a rough start to the teaching career! Nowhere to go but up from here, eh?
By the way, I'm amazed at your intricate knowledge of the cell.

Sarah SSM said...

Don't feel bad - those of us in high school in the 80's had to take typing on manual typewriters still, even two years after computers were introduced into the curriculum. Feel younger yet?

- Rebekah's sister